This smoothie is a great way to clean out your system and give your body a big nutritious boost!
The recipe works great with or without a banana. If you love bananas feel free to add one but this smoothie is plenty delicious and thick without one. Chia seeds not only give a nice texture but also provide important nutrients. Chia seeds provide fiber, essential fatty acids (Omega 3) and protein. Spinach may be less exciting than chia seeds but it is a great source of iron. It’s always a good idea to rotate your greens. So feel free to swap spinach for kale, collards, or dandelions, depending on the situation.
To keep this easy and delicious use frozen pineapple rather than buying fresh. Remember to always try and buy Organic whenever possible. Go for plain almond milk but make sure you buy unsweetened to avoid a sugar packed breakfast!
Also watch out for carrageen which is a mild carcinogen often used in popular brands of non-dairy milks and is a
Key Health Benefits:
- Spinach is an excellent plant based source of iron, vitamin K, and many other essential vitamins and minerals.
- Chia seeds a great source of colon healthy fiber, protein and omega-3.
- Orange juice is a key source of Vitamin C.
- Carrots keep your eyes healthy with plenty of vitamin A.
- 1/2 of a large banana
- Large handful of washed spinach
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- 1 handful of baby carrots
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- pinch of dried ginger
- 1/4-1/2 cup of almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- Let your chia seeds soak in a small bowl of water while you add all other ingredients besides almond milk to the blender.
- Add chia seeds and 1/4 cup of almond milk to the blender. Pulse for 30-45 seconds or until smooth.
- If you enjoy a thinner smoothie add another 1/4 cup of almond milk.
Drink in the goodness!
To check out the inspiration behind this smoothie recipe head over to Iowa Girl and have a look at her awesome site.